Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blog Post #2



The movie "Did You Know?" was extremely informative and interesting.  I did not realize how much our country has grown technologically but also how every other country in the world is growing just as fast if not faster.
The video made me really think about the future and how much our society will depend on technology.  When watching it I found it very interesting that by the year 2049 it is predicted that the computer will be smarter than the human brain. Does this mean that the need for humans in the working world will be non existent?  I also found it very interesting about the top 10 jobs in the world today were not even around 10 years ago.  It makes you wonder what kind of jobs our kids will be doing.



"Mr. Winkle Wakes" is interesting because when you think about the traditional way that schools teach there haven't been any significant changes like we have seen in the world of medicine or technology.  You go in a school and you see students sitting in desks listening to their teacher lecture and taking notes.  One would think that with the world changing as fast as it is our ways of teaching and learning would also become more updated.
I think that this class (EDM 310) is a great example to show that students don't have to sit in a desk and take notes to learn!  In my opinion, sitting in a desk and taking notes will become far less popular in the future because there are so many different ways to teach now days.



I loved this video! I have a three year old little boy and if I said that he did not have an imagination and some creativity I would be lying.  The things he says and the ideas he comes up with sometimes are amazing. He can draw something that doesn't look like anything to me but when I ask him what it is he has an immediate answer.
When you think about all of these arts that are spoken about in this video: art, music, drama, dance, and then think about some things that children love to do, they are very closely related.  My child plays pretend all day long (drama), and he loves to dance, he loves to draw, paint, and create just about anything, and he loves music whether it be listening to it or creating it with some of his toys. All of these things allow him to create something and express himself.



To allow children to explore different technologies gives them a great opportunity to learn.  I definitely agree with the teacher when she says that just giving students a pen and some paper doesn't allow ALL students to learn and succeed just a select few.  Having all of these resources is such a great opportunity for us as students but also for future generations to learn together as a group.  I loved how the students were teaching the teacher, what a great thing!  I am not a fan of classrooms that have teachers that think they know everything because in my opinion there is always something new that can be learned!

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth,

    You asked "Does this mean that the need for humans in the working world will be non existent?" I was also curious of the same thing. Did you ever see the movie, Zenon? In the movie, a group of people live in outer space. All the kids attend school, but it is a virtual classroom. The teacher comes up as a projection. With the rate of technology, I am afraid that this could actually happen in the future. Hopefully, I won't be here when our world reaches this magnitude.

    You also said that you think students sitting in desks taking notes will eventually disappear. I agree with you; however, I think the only way for this to happen is through classes like EDM 310. If teachers aren't being taught how to incorporate technology into their classroom, and if schools don't have funding for technology, I think it will be a struggle to change the ways students learn.

    Hopefully, through this new age of teaching, creativity will consume the schools, and technology will enhance the students' learning.

    ReplyDelete