Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Blog Post 3

"A Vision of Students Today" was interesting because it made me think about all of the years of schooling that I have had up to this point and how much time I have spent sitting in a chair just listening to lectures, some of which were useful and some of which I have no recelection of.
Our lives are so busy these days with school, work, families, and just day to day activities that the comment about having 26.5 hours of things to do in a 24 hour day is very true. The only way I can get everything done that I have to do is to multi-task. I often think about how much time I am wasting when sitting in class learning some of the stuff that I am forced to learn and it makes me mad. I think that the future of education is going to change though. I think that more and more classes and information will come from technology and that more and more of our jobs wil be based on the use of technology.

"It's Not About the Technology" was a great blog post. I could not have agreed more with Ms. Hines on most everything that she discussed. It does not matter how much money we spend on technology and how great the technology is if the teachers using it do not know how to use it. If the teachers cannot use it to benefit the students then it is useless and a waste of money. This is where her comment that "teachers must be learners" is so true. If a teacher is willing to learn how to use all of this new technology and incorporate it into her teaching than her students will benefit from it.

"Is It OK to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher" was a great blog to explore. EDM310 is the first class that has even introduced me to this kind of technology, but I still have a long way to go. I really did not have a clue that there were so many different applications and programs out there to aid in the learning process. I hope that after this class I am a little bit more literate because I do agree with his comment that all teachers should be somewhat literate. I am always willing to try and learn new things and I think that this is one of the most important things that we, as teachers, have to be able to do. If we cannot keep up with the new technology then we will never be able to understand our students because the new technology is all that they have, so for us to understand how to teach them we must know what they are doing.

Gary Hayes' Social Media Count is so cool. It is mind blowing to see these numbers rise so quickly. I think that this just shows how much we already use technology and it is only going to grow in the future. To me, as a future educator, this means that we are going to have to stay on top of all the changes in technology so that we are able to teach our students in a way which is appropriate for the times and so that they understand and learn.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate you taking the time to check out my post "It's Not About the Technology." Best of luck this semester on your own technological journey!
    - Kelly Hines

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree about sitting in a classroom listening to lectures. Most students minds wonder and they are thinking about something totally off subject and completely miss the whole lecture. The other half of the students are so bored with lectures, that they usually fall asleep.

    I also liked Kelly Hines article and would have to agree that even though technology is growing and becoming more advanced, we should always encourage our students to use their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post Elizabeth!

    I know what you mean about being frustrated sitting in class the old fashioned way. It does seem like a big waste of time. Eventually, I do think you will see that a format more like what we use in EDM 310 will become the new norm. Students interacting and working together engaged, and in charge of their own learning.

    Your blog is looking great. Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete