Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Post 6

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler
In this video we learn about the Networked Student.  This student is taking a class in American Psycology.  He does not have a book and is only using his computer to take the class.  He has an instructor who is there to give him guidance but other than that he is on his own.  I think that parts of this are great and I think that parts of it are not.  I agree that everyone should learn to be an independent learner, but this is harder for some people as they need for guidance and instruction.  I think that the student can broaden what they learn in a class if they are an independent learner but some topics are so big that the students need a more direct focus, which is where the teacher would come in.  I do think that this is how much of the learning in schools will take place in the future. 

A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment
I am amazed at what they are doing.  It is hard for me to believe that a 7th grader is doing all of this.  When I think back to when I was in the 7th grade, I was not doing anything even close to this.  I think that this is really cool.  This student's science class was completely paperless and she checked on the computer every morning to see what she needed to do for the day in this class, I think that having this kind of responsibility is great for students at this age.  It makes the child responsible for their own learning.  I do wonder about the freedom that she said they have to browse anything on the internet...I hope that there are some restrictions in place. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Elizabeth, I agree with your post on The Networked student. I do believe that for some people individual learning can be a challenge. I do like being able to learn on my own but I have dealt with many people who need someone to physically teach them in order to comprehend correctly. I also agree on your post about The Seventh Grader Personal Learning Environment. It is very hard to believe that a 7th grader can do all those things on her computer. I am twenty years old and didn't know half the websites existed that she named. Children now are being exposed to more technology so I can see how she is able to do all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,

    Your networked student reflection was good, and your recognition that the education schema is changing, but I also would like you to consider what you will be doing specifically to help students find their own ways of gaining focus and how you will give them direction. I think these are the things that will be most challenging for us as teachers.

    What kind of restrictions? What kind of enforcement?

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete